What do we know about our Mental Health?
Mental health is simply a state of emotional, social, and psychological well being in which one has achieved a satisfactory integration of one’s instinctual drives acceptable to both oneself and one’s social environment.
It is an appropriate balance of love, work and leisure pursuits and an absence of mental or behavioral disorder.
Certain factors like genes, trauma, stress, sexual, child and emotional abuse and even family history of mental illness can contribute to mental health problems.
Warning signs of mental illness includes;
– Long lasting sadness or irritability.
– Extremely high and low moods.
– Excessive fear, worry or anxiety.
– Social withdrawal.
– Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping habits.
– Thinking of harming yourself or others.
– smoking, drinking or using drugs more than usual.
Poor mental health could be as a result of social isolation, trauma, stress, child and sexual abuse, discrimination and stigma, and even presence of a chronic disease.
Types of mental illness includes;
– mood disorders like depression.
– Anxiety disorders like panic attack.
– Personality disorders like Obsessive- compulsive disorder(OCD).
– Psychotic disorders like Schizophrenia.
– Eating disorders like Anorexia nervosa.
– Substance abuse disorders.
Positive mental health allows us to;
-Realize our full potentials.
– Cope with the stress of life.
– Work productively.
– Make meaningful contributions to their communities.
Ways to maintain a positive mental health includes;
-Rest and sleep well.
– Develop coping skills like avoiding negative informations, listening to good music.
– Be positive in your words and thoughts.
– Connect with others and help others too.
Thank you very much for reading.